Stocks Sink After Reports Of European Slowdown
Constellation Brands soared 37 percent, the biggest gain in the S&P 500, after reaching a deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev. InBev agreed to sell a brewery in Mexico and rights for Corona and Modelo beer in the U.S. to Constellation for $2.9 billion. Constellation Brands gained $11.87 to $43.75.
In the market for U.S. government bonds, the yield on the 10-year Treasury slipped to 1.99 percent, down from 2.02 percent the day before.
The 10-year Treasury yield, used to set a variety of borrowing rates, began the year around 1.70 percent and has climbed steadily higher since then. As worries about a recession ease, traders have shifted money out of the Treasury market, driving yields up.
Among other companies making news:â¿¿ Whole Foods Market slumped 10 percent. The grocery store chain trimmed its forecasts for sales and earnings this year, a result of its plans to open more stores and put more lower-priced goods on its shelves. Whole Foods lost $9.40 to $87.50. â¿¿ General Motors fell 3 percent after the biggest U.S. carmaker said it made money in North America and Asia and nearly doubled last year's fourth-quarter profit. But its earnings fell short of analysts' estimates. GM's stock dropped 92 cents to $27.75.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV