Messaging And VOIP Apps Are Popular Among Mobile Users, But The Global Market Is Very Fragmented
VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mobidia Technology, Inc., a leading provider of mobile analytics, today released new insight into mobile usage of messaging and VOIP applications. Mobidia's data highlights the continued and growing importance of these applications to smartphone and tablet users and the opportunity for mobile operators and application vendors in the global, but very fragmented marketplace.
Over the past year, there has been a substantial increase in activity in the mobile messaging and VOIP space with upstarts such as WhatsApp making significant market share increases and disrupting the European texting business, and Facebook launching dedicated mobile messaging apps. Established apps and services such as China's Tencent and Microsoft's Skype continue to release new functionality and push into new markets. And many mobile operators, including T-mobile, Vodafone, and Telefonica, announced, launched, or grew propriety and joyn-based solutions in the space. Options for subscribers will increase throughout 2013, yet the leading options will vary widely depending on country or geography.
With a set of data provided by millions of global smartphone users, Mobidia is able to provide a unique view into usage of more than 50 messaging and VOIP applications in 35 countries and can provide insight into penetration rates, average data consumed across different mobile and Wi-Fi networks, average time spent in apps, and top applications by country, network, OS, or device type. An analysis of Mobidia's data on these apps highlights the following trends:
- Mobile messaging applications and VOIP applications are popular among smartphone users in established and developed countries. In many locations, penetration rates of 60 to 95 percent are common.
- The market for mobile messaging and VOIP is highly fragmented with hundreds of applications available and often 10 to 20 applications showing significant usage for a given geography or country.
- WhatsApp continues to enjoy leadership in both penetration and usage in many countries.
Examples of data available by Mobidia below:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV