NOVA ScienceNOW Web Series Reveals TV Star Mayim Bialik As A Neuroscientist ... Playing A Neuroscientist
The Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers is a web series that colors a playful, humanizing snapshot of innovators who are shaping our world. Each episode profiles one of today's leading scientists, and shows what happens when the lab coats come off – like a biologist who is also a professional wrestler, or a NASA astronomer who puts on fifty pounds of historical costuming to recreate Renaissance dances.
Why explore the lives of scientists outside the lab? "Today, we know every intimate detail about actors and pop stars," says the series' executive producer, filmmaker Joshua Seftel. "The scientists in the Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers inspire people and are changing our world. We should know about them, too. And every now and then, some of those actors and celebrities are scientists."
Bialik isn't the only Secret Life scientist to have enjoyed Hollywood-style fame. Recent or upcoming Secret Life episodes include:
- Ian Lipkin – This Columbia University professor's pioneering work on pathogens and infectious disease earned him a consulting role on Contagion (2011), an acclaimed doomsday thriller that stars Matt Damon and Kate Winslet battling a global pandemic.
- Paul Frommer – This university linguist, widely known for creating the Na'vi language spoken in James Cameron's box office-smashing film Avatar (2009), is featured in an upcoming episode of Secret Life.
Secret Life has also featured:
- Famous physicist Michio Kaku lacing up his ice skates and showing off his slick figure skating skills.
- Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson , lighting up Secret Life with his cosmic tie collection.
- Erika Ebbel, a beauty-queen-turned-biochemist, who replaced her lab coat with a tiara and evening gown, and taught audiences how to "gown walk."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts