Einhorn, who is currently suing Apple to try to prevent the company from changing its charter, now owns 1.3 million shares according to his latest 13F filing, up from the third quarter, when he owned 1.09 million shares.
In addition to the 1.3 million share stake, Einhorn owns the right to purchase another 275,000 shares via call options.
Last week, Einhorn put out a letter asking shareholders to vote against Apple's proposal to do away with preferred stock, which he says restricts "the Board's ability to unlock the value on Apple's balance sheet." Apple responded, saying that it would "thoroughly evaluate Greenlight Capital's current proposal to issue some form of preferred stock."CEO Tim Cook called the lawsuit a "silly sideshow" at a Goldman Sachs conference earlier this week, as he discussed the prospect of returning cash to shareholders. Mr. Einhorn also purchased shares of Google (GOOG) during the quarter, initiating a stake of 63,000 shares in the Internet search giant. He added to his stakes in Aetna (AET) and Marvell Technology (MRVL) as well during the quarter. In contrast, Einhorn did very little selling. Positions in CBS (CBS) and Babcock & Wilcox (BWC) were among the more notable names where stakes were decreased. In the third quarter Einhorn cut his stake in Apple, along with other names, including Microsoft (MSFT) and Seagate Technology (STX). Shares of Apple closed Thursday slightly lower, off 0.09% to $466.59. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV