Build-A-Bear Workshop, Inc. (NYSE: BBW), an interactive entertainment retailer, today reported results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended December 29, 2012.
Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2012 Highlights:
- Consolidated net retail sales of $116.1 million represented a 0.7% decrease compared to $117.1 million in the 2011 fourth quarter, excluding the impact of foreign exchange;
- Net retail sales were flat despite closing ten stores in 2012 and excluding the benefits from adjustments to deferred revenue related to the Company’s loyalty program, which totaled $0.5 million and $1.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2012 and 2011, respectively;
- Consolidated comparable store sales decreased 1.7% which included a 1.5% increase in North America and an 11.4% decrease in Europe. The six stores that feature the Company’s newly imagined store design had increased sales of 30%;
- Consolidated e-commerce sales increased 14.0%, excluding the impact of foreign exchange;
- Net loss for the 2012 fourth quarter was $2.23 per share and included a $33.7 million, or $2.06 per share non-cash charge to impair the goodwill associated with the Company’s UK business. Net loss for the 2011 fourth quarter was $0.56 per share and included a $15.6 million, or $0.93 per share non-cash charge related to a valuation allowance against net deferred tax assets; and
- Adjusted earnings per diluted share were $0.13 per share compared to adjusted earnings per diluted share of $0.34 in the 2011 fourth quarter (See Reconciliation of Net Income (Loss) to Adjusted Net Income (Loss)).
Maxine Clark, Build-A-Bear Workshop’s Chief Executive Bear commented, “While we are disappointed with our overall results, in the fourth quarter, we increased comparable store sales in North America showing a marked improvement from the third quarter. This increase was driven by the initial benefit of our brand building marketing campaigns, particularly in the U.S., and a return to traditional holiday product offerings. The UK remained challenging, which drove down our consolidated comparable store sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV