Things like ... paraphrasing here ... We could do lots of things to generate revenue, but we're not going to just produce random products because we can. That's not a talking point. And, if it is, it's wholly genuine. Apple could -- tomorrow -- do several things to become the market share leader in everything. Not just tablets.
I'm not pointing to the MacBook price decrease. That's nothing. Means little to me.
If Apple decided to license its operating systems (iOS and OS X), with very few rules, to all those willing to run them, it would likely crush Android within a few minutes. Give up the logo, the branding, the image, everything. From there, you would have cats like Meg Whitman jumping on the gravy train and building $199, $249 "MacBooks" like we're seeing with Google's Chromebook.
License the ecosystem out and iOS and OS X become, for all intents and purposes, iTunes. Run on inferior hardware purchased by enough people willing to compromise just so they can say they're having something like the Apple experience. It would be epic. The move would increase Apple's hardware sales because, users of licensed products would soon discover that iOS and OS X, like iTunes, simply ain't the same when it's not run on an Apple-designed and -produced device.
Apple would become the Toyota (TM) Prius of the mobile, laptop and desktop world. You know - you can't afford a Tesla (TSLA) Roadster or Model S so you buy a Prius because you can say, "Look at me. I drive what Hollywood celebrities drive."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV