It doesn't look like that will ever get done via Hulu so, if I'm at NWSA, TWX, CMCSA, DIS and CBS, I come together and devise some type of streaming plan going forward. Call it collusion if you will, but that's just a minor detail. These guys are not stupid. At day's end, they have common goals:
- Preserve and protect the cash cow that is the cable/satellite model;
- Become truly multi-platform because it not only furthers their traction with consumers, but opens up billions in new (or shifted) advertising dollars; and
- Build long-term, impenetrable digital offerings that (A) bring in an end to the presently-disjointed TV Everywhere scheme and (B) halt the dog and pony show of short-term revenue grabs by doing deals with Netflix.
Sometimes they play dumb, but they're not. Most big media executives know the score (read the stuff Jeff Bewkes says, talk to people at HBO). They know they control the content and hold the cards. As they build larger empires -- encompassing everything from the content to networks to delivery systems to actual sports franchises and venues -- the time will arrive to take digital into their own hands, completely, and away from unnecessary third parties.
For somebody like Jeff Bezos at Amazon.com (AMZN) or Tim Cook at Apple, that's a minor bump in the road, but, for Reed Hastings at Netflix, who has hooked his wagon to a one-trick pony and the pipe dream of an original programming powerhouse, it's armageddon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV