SABMiller plc (LN:SAB; OTC:SABMRY) and Molson Coors Brewing Company (NYSE: TAP; TSX: TPX) reported that MillerCoors underlying net income grew 9.5 percent for the full year 2012 to $1.223 billion, while fourth quarter underlying net income decreased 4.2 percent to $185.8 million versus the same quarter in the prior year. Positive pricing and favorable sales mix drove strong profitability for the year, while increased marketing investment reduced fourth quarter earnings.
“We delivered strong profit growth in 2012 while making significant marketing investments in the fourth quarter behind our brands,” said MillerCoors Chief Executive Officer Tom Long. “Our portfolio transformation strategy is delivering solid results. Coors Light, which is undoubtedly the healthiest major beer brand in the market, continued to show momentum and we led Craft share growth as Tenth and Blake delivered very strong results with Blue Moon and Leinenkugel’s.”
Fourth Quarter and Full Year Highlights
Unless otherwise indicated, all amounts are in U.S. dollars and calculated in accordance with U.S. GAAP. All percentages are versus the prior-year comparable period and include MillerCoors operations in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Quarterly sales-to-retailers (STRs) results are presented on a trading-day-adjusted basis, as the fourth quarter of 2012 had one more trading day compared with the same quarter in the prior year.
- Underlying net income (a non-GAAP measure) increased 9.5 percent to $1.223 billion for the year and decreased 4.2 percent to $185.8 million for the fourth quarter.
- Total net sales increased 2.8 percent to $7.761 billion for the year and 1.7 percent to $1.784 billion for the quarter.
- Domestic net revenue per barrel, excluding contract brewing and company-owned distributor sales, increased 3.5 percent for the year and 2.9 percent for the quarter.
- Total cost of goods sold (COGS) per barrel increased 1.4 percent for the year and 1.6 percent for the quarter.
- Domestic STRs decreased 1.3 percent for the year and 1.1 percent for the quarter.
- Domestic sales-to-wholesalers (STWs) decreased 1.1 percent for the year and 1.3 percent for the quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV