NEW YORK, Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- 20 th century science fiction scenarios of computer sex and love are becoming real in the 21 st century for the rising generation of Millennials, who are immersed in computer games and online socializing. Having grown up digital, Millennials are more likely than older cohorts to access it, experience it as real, and regard it as normal. In Havas Worldwide's annual "Love & Lust" survey, conducted among 2,000 adults in the US and UK, almost one-third (32 percent) of 18-34s say that virtuality is reality, meaning that for them, what happens online is real. That's a significant 13 points higher than the 35 to 54 year-olds (19 percent) and almost 20 points higher than the over-55s (13 percent).
Whenever sexual urges, needs, and questions come up, consistently more Millennials than the older generations go digital. Almost half of them (46 percent) have visited or used online services with sexual intent, compared with 38 percent of 35-54s and just 20 percent of over-55s. Almost 1 in 3 Millennials (29 percent) say images on the Internet have influenced how they think about sex (vs. 22 percent of 35-54s and 11 percent of over-55s); almost 1 in 4 (24 percent) say discussions online have influenced how they think about sex (vs. 14 percent and 6 percent respectively).
Many people across various age cohorts use the Internet for sex and romance, but more Millennials could imagine getting into sexual or romantic relationships through online services. Facebook is the frontrunner for 39 percent of Millennials (vs. 25 and 14 percent), followed by dating sites such as Plenty of Fish (36 vs. 27 and 14 percent) and chat services such as Skype and MSN (36 percent vs. 22 and 12 percent). Even the short-form limitations of Twitter hold romantic promise for 23 percent of Millennials (vs. 12 percent and 7 percent).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV