SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Extreme Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXTR) today announced that it is delivering on its vision for Software Defined Networking (SDN) with the shipment this week of ExtremeXOS® v15.3, the company's single modular Operating System for data center, campus BYOD and the cloud.
Customers benefit from critical new features and support for SDN technology, including OpenFlow and support for SDN applications from partners such as Big Switch Networks and NEC. Extreme Networks is also shipping its OpenStack Quantum plugin, a downloadable software module providing a rich API for ExtremeXOS that enables orchestration and management of multi-tenant networks providing security, load balancing and data center interconnect infrastructure as network services.
With the release of ExtremeXOS 15.3, Extreme Networks supports SDN applications from Big Switch Networks: Big Tap, provides traffic monitoring and dynamic network visibility with flow filtering, and Big Virtual Switch (BVS), an application for virtualized data center networks which provisions the physical network into multiple logical networks across the stack, from Layer 2 to 7. Additionally, ExtremeXOS 15.3 delivers support for AVB (Audio Video Bridging), Identity Management enhancements, XNV Dynamic VLANs and GRE Tunneling enhancements.
"With our new multi-tenant data center, SDN can streamline switch management and monitor the network using ExtremeXOS," said Pepi Randolph, CEO of Data Holdings, LLC, which is constructing a premier data center facility in Milwaukee using Extreme Networks network solutions. "Achieving this from a centralized standpoint and with an open approach is critical to scaling services and data more efficiently.""The new world of networking takes a commitment to progressive applications driven by SDN," said Jason Matlof, vice president of marketing at Big Switch Networks. "By working with Extreme Networks, developing useful applications that streamline operations, we are on the leading edge of this important movement." "As we bring new OpenFlow and OpenStack features into the market with ExtremeXOS 15.3, customers are equipped to take advantage of the promise of software advancements that extend capabilities and further simplify their networks," said David Ginsburg, CMO for Extreme Networks. ExtremeXOS 15.3 Highlights for SDN:
- Robust implementation based on Open vSwitch (OVS) Long Term Support (LTS)
- Hybrid mode of operation enabling migration from legacy networks to OpenFlow enabled networks. Support for hardware based LAG modeled to seamlessly integrate with existing OpenFlow controllers.
- Queueing / Slicing support based on ExtremeXOS QoS profiles.
- OpenFlow in ExtremeXOS is enabled/disabled per VLAN
- OpenStack Quantum plugin version 1.1 and version 2.0 API support to enable tenants to define networks of compute, storage and network services
- Multi-tenant isolation in the network with VLANs and VMANs and multi-tenant isolation to the compute host via integration with vSwitch
- Common switch platform that enables programmability using OpenFlow and OpenStack providing a unified, cloud-scale solution to manage all network infrastructure
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts