Trend Micro Teams With Spanish Police In Reveton Ransomware Gang Arrests
CUPERTINO, Calif., Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Spanish Police officials announced the arrest of one of the alleged heads of a cybercriminal gang that uses the ransomware strain known as Reveton. The apparent arrest of this alleged cybercriminal of Russian origin occurred in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Spanish police are working to extradite the suspect to Spain.
In addition, there were arrests of members of the same gang focused on obtaining funds abusing PaySafeCard / UKash vouchers. The Reveton gang apparently had a branch in Spain that exchanged these vouchers and converted them into actual money, which would then be transferred to the leaders of the gang in Russia. According to police this activity has netted the gang over one million Euros per year. Additionally, the Reveton ransomware is still in circulation and being used by others. As there is still an ongoing investigation, only certain information is available at this time.
These arrests are a tremendous result from the ongoing work and collaboration between the Spanish police and Trend Micro's eCrimes unit which works extensively and collaboratively with law enforcement authorities across the globe.
- This is the latest in a series of arrests and take-downs that Trend Micro has been involved with. Other recent collaborations included the Ghostclick/Rove Digital takedown, the "Soldier" SpyEye disruption, the LuckyCat APT campaign and the IXESHE APT campaign.
- Trend Micro's products currently protect against all known versions of Reveton.
- This illustrates that effective work to protect customers from malware like Reveton involves not just technological solutions but active partnerships and collaborations with law enforcement agencies and government agencies.
- More information can be found at: http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/key-figure-in-police-ransomware-activity-nabbed-2 andat: http://www.interior.gob.es/press/golpe-policial-a-una-de-las-mayores-redes-cibercriminales-especializada-en-infectar-millones-de-ordenadores-de-todo-el-mundo-14802
Supporting assets:Reveton Ransomware Details http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/Malware.aspx?language=au&name=TROJ_RANSOM.BNWAbout Trend MicroTrend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704), the global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ global threat intelligence data mining framework, our products and services stop threats where they emerge – from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe. Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and the products and services are available at Trend Micro.com. This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://newsroom.trendmicro.com/ and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro. SOURCE Trend Micro
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV