Atlantic Equities analyst Richard Staite said in a report Jan. 29 that the increase in MBS yields had led to a contraction in the primary secondary mortgage spread to 82 basis points from an average of 123 basis points during the fourth quarter. This means smaller gains on the sale of loans to government-sponsored enterprises, including Fannie Mae (FNMA) and Freddie Mac (FMCC).
During a presentation at the Credit Suisse Financial Services Forum on Wednesday, Fifth Third CEO Kevin Kabat said it was too early to comment on how much mortgage loan gain-on-sale margins had declined during the first quarter, but he did say that the declining mortgage spreads would affect the "industry as a whole."
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Christopher Mutascio on Monday downgraded Fifth Third to "hold" from "outperform," saying the move was "purely a valuation call as the shares are now within 2% of our $17 target price." The analyst also said "we still like it over other Midwest banks like [Comerica and KeyCorp]," which he downgraded to "sell" the same day.
Mutascio estimates that Fifth Third will earn $1.66 a share this year, with earnings growing to $1.73 a share in 2014.-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. FITB data by YCharts
Interested in more on Fifth Third Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV