- Substantial losses. Since it was founded in 2005, Ambre has racked up more than $124 million (Australian dollars) in accumulated losses, while taking in less than $7 million in revenues.
- High borrowing costs. Ambre's financial records show loans with annual interest rates of 10 to 12 percent—strikingly high rates at a time when junk bond yields have fallen below 6 percent.
- Money-losing coal mines: The company's recently acquired U.S. mining business has hemorrhaged money, and one of its two mines recently announced plans to lay off nearly half its work force.
- Massive liabilities. Ambre's recent U.S. asset purchases come attached with massive mine acquisition, reclamation, pension, and medical obligations of at least $240 million.
- Substantial capital needs. Ambre needs roughly $1 billion in additional financing to move its coal export plans to fruition.
- Failed overseas venture. The government of Queensland, Australia recently blocked Ambre's proposed coal-to-liquids venture, forcing Ambre to recognize a $10.7 million loss.
- Regulatory uncertainty. The company's coal projects face lengthy and costly environmental review requirements, permitting uncertainties, and new questions about its plans to avoid federal royalty payments by selling coal between its own subsidiaries.
- High-risk business plans. Even if Ambre can manage to bring its coal terminals online, it will still be exposed to sizable risks from rail and shipping costs, volatile international coal prices, and competition from better-established coal exporting rivals on the Pacific Rim.
Report: Ambre Energy Unlikely To Succeed With U.S. Coal Exporting Plans
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.