Meeting an engineer can change your life. Just ask Martha Garcia-Wegener.
When Martha was six years old, her family immigrated to the United States from Mexico. Eventually her family moved to Iowa, where they opened a restaurant. One day, while working as a waitress at the restaurant, she waited on a man who was an electrical engineer.
He asked her what she wanted to do after high school and Martha told him she didn’t know, but that she really liked math and doing hands-on work. He told her about his job as an electrical engineer and explained the differences between all the other engineering disciplines. This conversation sparked her interest in engineering.
Martha eventually pursued an engineering degree, and today, is a systems engineer working at Rockwell Collins.Now Martha and hundreds of other Rockwell Collins employees across the globe participate in Engineers Week (EWeek) activities throughout the month of February as a way to share their passion and inspire boys and girls to pursue technical careers at Rockwell Collins and other high tech companies. “Our hope is that our EWeek activities will inspire the engineers and innovators of tomorrow,” said Nan Mattai, senior vice president of Engineering & Technology at Rockwell Collins. “Our investment of time and resources is a commitment to the workforce of tomorrow, for Rockwell Collins, certainly, but also for the economic viability of the communities and countries where we operate.” Started in Rockwell Collins’ headquarters community of Cedar Rapids in 1991, the company’s EWeek activities have expanded to its locations across the U.S., Brazil and India as a way to involve even more employees and to address the growing need to develop a global workforce of engineers, scientists and innovators. In 2013, it’s estimated that nearly 5,000 students will participate in hands-on engineering activities facilitated by Rockwell Collins.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV