Soraa World-Record Performance GaN On GaN LED
Soraa, the world’s leader in gallium-nitride on gallium-nitride (GaN on GaN™) LED technology, announced today the next generation of its high external quantum efficiency GaN on GaN LEDs. As described in Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 223509, Soraa’s new LED outperforms the best-documented LED laboratory result by Nichia Chemical Co. at current densities of 100 A/cm 2 and beyond (J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 43, 354002).
“The record breaking performance from our next generation of GaN on GaN LEDs is a credit to the extremely talented research and development team at Soraa, and a testament to the vision of our founder and GaN on GaN pioneer, Dr. Shuji Nakamura,” said Mike Krames, CTO of Soraa. “But what’s amazing is that we have just scratched the surface in terms of performance gains from our GaN on GaN LED technology.”
Soraa’s GaN on GaN LEDs handle significantly more current and emit ten times more light per unit area of LED wafer material than conventional LEDs made by depositing GaN layers on cheaper foreign substrates like sapphire, silicon carbide or silicon. The company’s GaN on GaN technology leverages the advantages of the native substrate, including over a thousand times lower crystal defect densities that allow reliable operation at very high current densities (the same principle that enabled Blu-ray laser diodes). In addition to superior crystal quality, the native substrate’s optical transparency and high electrical and thermal conductivity enable a very robust, simple LED design that delivers maximum performance. Another advantage of the GaN on GaN approach is that it enables considerable flexibility in the choice of crystal growth plane.
“We firmly believe that GaN on GaN is the future for LEDs and we’ve developed a comprehensive intellectual property program and patent portfolio covering the technology to maintain our leadership position.” added Krames.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV