Alpha Idles 2 Va. Mines, Lays Off About 80 Workers
BRISTOL, Va. (AP) â¿¿ Two Alpha Natural Resources Inc. mines in Virginia have been idled as part of cutbacks announced last fall.
Alpha spokesman Ted Pile tells media outlets that the company idled its Red Onion surface mine near Pound and Bluff Spur underground mine near Norton last week.
Pile says about 80 workers across the state were laid off. Some were transferred to other mining operations in southwest Virginia.
Bristol, Va.-based Alpha announced last September that it was cutting production by 16 million tons and eliminating 1,200 jobs companywide.Chief Executive Officer Kevin Crutchfield said at the time that the shutdowns and layoffs are a necessary part of Alpha surviving what has become a difficult U.S. market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV