NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Leading computer chip maker Intel (INTC) has confirmed the rumors that have been swirling around the industry for months that it's been working on a new set-top television box, as well as an Internet pay-TV service.
Intel Media's Corporate Vice President Erik Huggers told AllThingsD that his company has been busy developing the new system, along with possible future partners Apple (AAPL), Netflix (NFLX) and Google (GOOG).
Huggers added that Intel's shooting for the product to be an "all-in-one" solution which will provide live television and on-demand programming, as well as supporting applications. While not giving away many details, the product sounds like it will mirror some of the features currently found in Apple TV and Google TV hardware, as well as Netflix programming capabilities.
Intel's reportedly testing the hardware/service in employees' homes at the moment. It's also possible that the service could be ported to smartphones, tablets and laptop computers at some point.The new consumer-oriented TV streaming service will come with a new brand name as well (so far unannounced). Intel hopes to be able to announce the new products by the end of the year. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV