Monitors Criticize Belgium On Zimbabwe Diamonds
Last year, Global Witness said illicit diamond revenues had provided off-budget financing to security forces controlled by Mugabe's ZANU-PF party that had a history of violence and intimidation surrounding elections.
The group said Wednesday any easing of curbs on Zimbabwe's diamond industry would likely mean more cash for Mugabe's loyalist police and military just months before 2013 elections.
"The European Union should hold a steady course and restrict trade with diamond mining operations in Marange until free and fair elections have taken place," Global Witness said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV