SILVER SPRING, Md.
Feb. 13, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH), one of the world's largest lodging franchisors, announced a considerable amount of system growth with the addition of 128 newly opened franchised properties during the fourth quarter of 2012. Further, the company has executed a total of 214 new domestic contracts within the fourth quarter of 2012, a 67-percent increase over the same period of the prior year.
46 of these new additions, which previously operated as
, opened in mid-December under the Quality Inn, Comfort Inn and Econo Lodge flags across the southeast and midwest regions of
the United States
. These openings represented the largest single conversion transaction in the company's history, excluding the acquisition of an entire brand.
The fourth quarter openings included hotels in 33 U.S. states and 11 countries, adding nearly 10,000 guestrooms to the company's existing 495,000 rooms. Choice Hotels welcomed these additional properties under a spectrum of flags -- Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Clarion, Quality, MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay, Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn and Ascend Hotel Collection. Year-to-date, the company has opened a total of 308 hotels.
"The fourth quarter hotel openings and development agreements reflect the tremendous appeal of the Choice Hotels array of brands," said
, senior vice president of global development for Choice Hotels International. "We expect to continue that momentum through 2013 with further expansion, particularly in the upscale segment with more highly desirable destinations for Ascend Hotel Collection and the ongoing development of Cambria Suites in key urban markets."
Select properties that opened during this year's fourth quarter include:
The Postcard Inn on the Beach, an Ascend Hotel Collection property – St. Pete Beach, Florida
The sea air and white-sand beaches of St. Pete Island are right out your front door at this hip, chic, retro-casual boutique property. Located just minutes from downtown
The Postcard Inn on the Beach
offers 196 rooms each and every one uniquely designed to reflect a time when surfing was king and road trips ruled. The retro feel is updated with modern amenities including complimentary property-wide Wi-Fi, in-room workstations and flat-screen TVs. Nearby local attractions include The Dali Museum (the largest collection of Salvador Dali's art outside
), major league sports and amusement parks. The on-site PCI Bar & Grill offers excellent dining, and there's no better way to end the day than to pull up a beach chair, sit back and enjoy a drink around the property's beautiful fire pit. Kids will have a blast, and for a fee, four-legged "kids" are welcome, too! The
Ascend Collection of Hotels
welcomes The Postcard Inn, an independent hotel owned by an affiliate of the Starwood Capital Group.
Hotel Clifton, an Ascend Hotel Collection property – Miami Beach, Florida.
The intimate, eco-friendly
is located in the heart of trendy
. Although the exterior keeps its historic Art Deco feel, this beautifully remodeled property was
's first Gold-certified LEED hotel. Each of its 35 rooms is equipped with the finest energy conservation technology available including rainfall shower heads, high-efficiency faucets, low VOC paint and an occupancy-sensing energy management system to reduce consumption. Steps away from beaches and
nightlife, guests will also enjoy in-room amenities that include high-speed wireless and wired internet, flat screen televisions, and two-line speaker phones. With organic wines and cocktails, the Clifton's bar is a unique treat. The morning's continental breakfast also offers locally grown, seasonal organic specialties.
Clarion Inn – Arlanda, Sweden
Perfect for the business or vacation traveler, the 414-room
Arlanda Airport in Stockholm-Arlanda,
is located near dozens of museums and historic sites, fabulous restaurants and outdoor activities that include golf and horseback riding. The property's 44 meeting rooms can easily accommodate banquets for 500 or a conference crowd of 900. In-room, guests will be pleased to find high-speed wireless internet access, high-definition cable television, a mini-bar, desk, coffee maker, refrigerator and hair dryer. With several dining options on-site – including a spectacular 12
story restaurant with jet-set views – guests will also enjoy a free full breakfast, fitness center, and business center. Four-legged guests are welcome for an additional fee.
Comfort Inn & Suites – Page, Arizona
Spectacular desert views await visitors at the new
Inn & Suites property in Page, Arizona.
Located along the Colorado River close to Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon, guests will enjoy a range of outdoor sports including water skiing, hiking, biking, fishing, golfing and raft trips. At the end of the day, they'll be delighted by the chance to relax alongside the indoor heated pool and indoor hot tub. A free hot breakfast with eggs, meat, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and their choice of waffle flavors will get the next day started right. Each of the spacious guest rooms includes a coffee maker, desk, flat-screen television with cable, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. Guests will enjoy a well-equipped workout room, business center and free wireless internet access.
During the fourth quarter of 2012, Choice Hotels opened this complete list of properties:
- 10 new Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Comfort Inn & Suites, and Comfort Hotel brand hotels in Chandler, Arizona; Gallup, New Mexico; Page, Arizona; Demopolis, Alabama; West Monroe, Louisiana; Indianapolis, Indiana; Waco, Texas; Saint-Priest, France; and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- 70 new Quality Inn, Quality Inn & Suites, Quality Suites, and Quality Hotel brand hotels in Prescott, Arizona; Stockbridge, Georgia; Oakwood, Georgia; Pittsfield, Massachusetts; Fayetteville, North Carolina; Montgomery, Alabama; North Little Rock, Arkansas; Greensburg, Indiana; Hernando, Florida; Van Horn, Texas; Washington, Utah; Arkansas City, Kansas; Bolingbrook, Illinois; Newport News, Virginia; Franklin, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio; Escanaba, Michigan; Dayton, Ohio; Peoria, Illinois; Rutland, Vermont; Live Oak, Florida; Waterbury, Connecticut; South Bend, Indiana; Albertville, Alabama; Auburn, Alabama; Sylacauga, Alabama; Newnan, Georgia; Lagrange, Georgia; Arab, Alabama; Jasper, Alabama; Ocala, Florida; Decatur, Alabama; Selma, Alabama; Crestview, Florida; Lancaster, South Carolina; Palm Bay, Florida; Auburn Hills, Michigan; Cheraw, South Carolina; Seneca, South Carolina; Thomaston, Georgia; Goldsboro, North Carolina; Johnson City, Tennessee; Laurinburg, North Carolina; Lake City, Florida; Bessemer, Alabama; Bainbridge, Georgia; Carrollton, Georgia; Indianapolis, Indiana; Rome, Georgia; Louisville, Kentucky; Gallatin, Tennessee; Decherd, Tennessee; Greeneville, Tennessee; Richmond, Kentucky; Conyers, Georgia; Alcoa, Tennessee; Harrisonburg, Virginia; Pooler, Georgia; Oak Ridge, Tennessee; Oxford, Alabama; Scottsboro, Alabama; Jesup, Georgia; Waynesboro, Georgia; Kingsport, Tennessee; Memphis, Tennessee; Ballarat,Victoria, Australia; High Level, Alberta, Canada; Winkler, Manitoba, Canada; and Lyon, France.
- 15 new Clarion Inn, Clarion Inn & Suites and Clarion Collection brand properties in Sacramento, California; Florence, Kentucky; Fort Wayne, Indiana; Chattanooga, Tennessee; Terre Haute, Indiana; Essington, Pennsylvania; Lafayette, Louisiana; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Secaucus, New Jersey; New Cumberland, Pennsylvania; Aurora, Colorado; Blythe, California; Los Angeles, California; Narbonne, France; and Arlanda, Sweden.
- 4 new extended stay properties, Suburban Extended Stay brand hotels in Gainesville, Georgia; Chester, Virginia; Tempe, Arizona; and Phoenix, Arizona.
- 25 Econo Lodge and Econo Lodge Inn & Suites brand hotels in Canton, Georgia; Gatlinburg, Tennessee; Manchester, Vermont; Pico Rivera, California; Marietta, Georgia; Bridgeport, Michigan; Sheboygan, Wisconsin; Anderson, Missouri; Madison, Alabama; Orlando, Florida; Bay City, Michigan; Watertown, South Dakota; Minot, North Dakota; Lumberton, North Carolina; Santee, South Carolina; Ridgeland, South Carolina; Greenville, South Carolina; Iron Mountain, Michigan; Tupelo, Mississippi; Batesville, Arkansas; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Pensacola, Florida; Brooks, Alberta, Canada; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; and Wanganui, New Zealand.
- 11 new Rodeway Inn and Rodeway Inn & Suites brand hotels in Bishop, California; Martinez, California; Concord, North Carolina; Stratton, Colorado; Wesley Chapel, Florida; Chattanooga, Tennessee; Colton, California; Laurens, South Carolina; Dalton, Georgia; Santee, South Carolina; and Encinitas, California.
- Three Ascend Hotel Collection properties in Billings, Montana; Miami Beach, Florida; and St. Pete Beach, Florida.