BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Even as there's a love-fest heating up between investors and stocks this Valentine's Day, hedge funds still have a hate list. And it's got some big names on it.
When it comes to investing, a rising tide tends to lift all ships. So it's telling when hedge fund managers opt to sink a few of their ships by taking the transaction fees and potential opportunity costs of selling. In short, when equities are broadly moving higher, portfolio managers have to really hate a stock to sell it.
Too often, investors only focus on what institutional investors like hedge funds are buying; but there's something to be gleaned from both sides of the trade. So instead, we'll focus on five stocks that hedge funds hate today.And luckily for us, we can get a glimpse at exactly which stocks are on top of hedge funds' hate lists by looking at 13F statements. Institutional investors with more than $100 million in assets are required to file a 13F -- a form that breaks down their stock positions for public consumption. From hedge funds to mutual funds to insurance companies, any professional investors who manage more than that $100 million watermark are required to file a 13F. >>4 Loser Stocks Poised for a Comeback in 2013 So far, 239 funds filed the form for last quarter, and by comparing one quarter's filing to another, we can see how any single fund manager is moving their portfolio around. Without further ado, here's a look at five stocks fund managers hate. >>5 Toxic Stocks That Are Poisoning Your Portfolio
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV