NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) lowered prices and upgraded the processor on its 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display barely four months after its launch in a move to make the technology faster and more affordable.
Apple, in a statement sent out Wednesday, said pricing for the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and 128 gigabytes (GB) of flash memory now starts at $1,499. A new 2.6-gigahertz (GHz) processor and 256 GB of flash starts at $1,699.
The Cupertino, Calif.-based firm introduced the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display in October, priced from $1,699 for the 128 GB version. The 256 GB version, which contained a 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel (INTC) Core i5 processor, started at $1,999.
The tech giant also updated other parts of its MacBook line. The 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now features a faster 2.4-GHz quad-core processor and 16 GB of memory. The 13-inch MacBook Air with 256 GB of flash has been lowered to $1,399.Apple sold 4.1 million of its Mac products during its recent fiscal first quarter, down from 5.2 million a year earlier. Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook described the firm as more than a hardware company, emphasizing how the company's products open the door to additional software and services revenue. Apple shares rose 0.6% to $470.47 on Wednesday. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV