Beverage Industry Responds To CSPI Petition To FDA
EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE UNTIL 10:00 A.M. ET February 13, 2013
WASHINGTON, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In response to a petition to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration led by the Center for Science in the Public Interest regarding caloric sweeteners in beverages, the American Beverage Association issued the following statement:
"Everyone has a role to play in reducing obesity levels – a fact completely ignored in this petition. This is why the beverage industry has worked to increase options and information for consumers,
- Today about 45 percent of all non-alcoholic beverages purchased have zero calories and the overall average number of calories per beverage serving is down 23 percent since 1998.
- Beverage companies voluntarily removed full-calorie soft drinks from all schools and replaced them with lower-calorie choices, resulting in a 90 percent reduction in beverage calories shipped to schools since 2004.
- Beverage companies voluntarily added calorie labels to the front of all their packages, making it easier than ever for consumers to know how many calories are in their beverage choice before making a purchase.
- Americans are consuming 37 percent fewer calories from sugar in soft drinks and other sweetened beverages than in 2000, according to the CDC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV