Best Way to Meet Single Boomers
When asked about the best ways to meet people and find love, single boomers surveyed agree on more traditional methods of finding companionship, with the top ways being: through friends/family (66 percent); social activities, fitness classes and clubs (56 percent); and church/place of worship (45 percent).
With about one-fourth of Del Webb residents being single, Ehle said clubs and events that allow for social interaction are more abundant and diverse than ever before. These groups include singles clubs, which have become very popular at Del Webb communities in the past five years.
"The singles clubs are popular because they are fun and provide great social opportunities. Many people have told us they have established good friendships and sometimes even found love and ultimately got married," Ehle said. He added that the survey showed that 45 percent of single boomers interested in dating would consider moving to a community that offers more social interaction.Newlyweds Gary Williams and Lynn Trahan weren't looking for love when they met in the community choral club in Del Webb's Sun City Shadow Hills in Southern California. "We weren't looking for a serious relationship. We told all our friends that marriage was out of the question. Besides, we didn't even look like a couple – she is almost a head taller than I am," said Williams, 67. The couple got married in December, about 18 months after they first met. "We are now like teenagers in love and enjoy doing many things together like dancing, working out and singing." Meanwhile, some single boomers are looking for love in nontraditional places with 21 percent preferring dance clubs/bars and restaurants; 18 percent on-line dating services; and 17 percent citing the workplace.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV