BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich., Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A majority of single baby boomers say they are interested in dating and finding companionship later in life, according to Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey data released this month.
When asked about their attitudes toward dating, 56 percent of single adults ages 50 to 75+ surveyed said they are open to dating, showing love and companionship knows no age limits. Among those surveyed:
- 45 percent of all single boomers surveyed are actively dating, but not necessarily looking for love and marriage; while 11 percent want to find love and get married.
- 17 percent of never-married single boomers surveyed said they still hope to find love and get married. Digging deeper, 46 percent of divorced singles and 29 percent of widowers are looking for a companion, but are not necessarily interested in marrying again.
- 64 percent of younger boomers (ages 50 - 59) are most interested in dating or finding love.
(Click here for infographic and data: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTcxNDI3fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1 )
"Love later in life is important to some, but what's most important is meeting people with common interests," said Fred Ehle, vice president of brand management for PulteGroup, parent company of Del Webb, the leading builder of active adult communities in America. "Single baby boomers who live in our Del Webb communities tell us they seek diverse opportunities to be social, date or find companionship."
Single boomers represented 27 percent of Del Webb homebuyers nationwide in 2012, with women comprising 68 percent of those single buyers, Ehle said. Del Webb has been surveying the 50 and older demographic for more than 15 years, seeking to better understand the attitudes and opinions of this generation.
Most Boomers Seek Same-Age Companions: But Age and Gender Differences Prevail
- 63 percent of men want to date a younger or "much younger" woman compared to 22 percent of women who say they would prefer to date a younger or much younger man.
- The older the single boomer male, the more likely they want to date someone much younger. 31 percent of men 70 and older said they prefer to date a much younger woman compared to 26 percent of 50 - 59 year-olds males surveyed.
- 53 percent of single boomer females said they prefer to date someone their own age.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV