NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Comcast (CMCSA) was a big gainer in premarket trading after the company reached a deal to buy the remaining 49% stake in NBCUniversal from General Electric (GE) for $16.7 billion.
The deal came earlier than observers were expecting. Comcast and GE formed the NBCUniversal joint venture in 2009.
Shares of the media giant rose 8.67% to $42.35 following the news. Comcast was also the most active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume of 2,686,133. Shares of New York Stock Exchange-traded GE climbed 3.1% to $23.28.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV