There's often a disconnect between price and value when it comes to the "cult" stocks -- those everyone's talking about, the "must-own." The same is true of at least some of the names the market has given up on.
In RadioShack's case, despite Friday's 10% move, the company is still a net/net (trades below net current asset value). At Tuesday's close, the company trades at .97 times net current asset value, and .53 times tangible book value per share.
Radio Shack could, indeed, turn out to be not a phoenix, but a used up cigar butt. Perhaps it can't be saved, and there will be no suitors interested in acquiring it. That's why it's wise to keep these situations as a small piece of your portfolio.
Also, keep some Pepto-Bismol on hand if you don't have a strong stomach.At the time of publication, the author was long RSH. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV