- Each week, organizations faced an average of 1,719 attacks for every 1,000 users.
- Malicious websites increased by nearly 600 percent worldwide.
- North American malicious sites increased by 720 percent and EMEA saw a 531 percent increase.
- Legitimate web hosts were home to 85 percent of those malicious sites.
- Half of web-connected malware downloaded additional executables in the first 60 seconds.
- Only 7.7 percent of malware interacted with the system registry—circumventing many behavioral detection systems and antivirus solutions.
- Thirty-two percent of malicious links in social media used shortened URLs. Once cybercriminals gain access to a host, they typically hide their own malicious pages deep in the directory tree. This process generates very long and complex web links that might tip off a wary user. Link shortening solves that problem.
- The United States of America, Russia and Germany were the top three countries hosting malware. Meanwhile, the Bahamas made its debut into the list of top five countries hosting phishing sites, with a second place ranking.
- China, the United States of America and Russia were the top three countries hosting command and control servers.
- Only one in five emails were legitimate and email spam increased to 76 percent. Worldwide spam volumes reached more than a quarter of a million emails per hour.
- One in 10 malicious mobile applications asked for permission to install other apps, something rarely required by legitimate apps.
Websense 2013 Threat Report: Nearly 600 Percent Increase In Global Malicious Websites; 85 Percent On Legitimate Sites
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.