HOLMDEL, N.J., Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Vonage Holdings Corp. (NYSE: VG) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to form a joint venture with Brazilian-based Datora Telecom to deliver communications services in Brazil.
Brazil represents a substantial opportunity for Vonage and Datora, with 67 million total households, 17 million broadband households 1, and more than one million expats 1. Further, the Brazilian government made a commitment to invest approximately $8 billion per year between 2010 and 2013 to increase national broadband penetration in advance of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics 2. As a result, the number of broadband households in Brazil is expected to grow to 40 million by 2014 3.
" Brazil is one of the fastest growing markets in the world for communications services, and we are excited to partner with Datora to bring new services to Brazilian consumers," said Kimberly O'Loughlin, Vonage's Managing Director, International Markets. "Datora is an innovative telecommunications provider with a proven track record of success. Their entrepreneurial culture, market expertise and presence in Brazil will be invaluable as we embark upon this new market opportunity together."
O'Loughlin continued, "Today's announcement marks a major milestone in our international expansion strategy. This is the second international partnership we've entered into in less than one year as part of our continuing efforts to drive growth."Founded 20 years ago, Datora Telecom is a Brazilian multinational telecommunications provider focused on innovative voice and data solutions for carriers in Brazil and other countries around the world. Datora is a communications pioneer – it was the first company to operate VoIP services in Latin America, and the first telecom provider in Brazil to be issued a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) license. The company has a significant physical presence in Brazil, with points of presence in the country's most important cities, and more than 200 interconnection agreements with leading carriers in the countries where it does business. "We share Vonage's pioneering spirit, and we are excited to partner with a company that has achieved success in providing customers with convenient, flexible and affordable calling plans through innovative communications solutions," said Wilson Otero, Chief Executive Officer of Datora.
- Business Monitor International (BMI) Q2 2012 report, ISSN 1748-4421
- Brazilian Development Bank
- Brazil's National Broadband Plan (PNBL)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV