NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Popular searches on the Internet include Harris Poll, otherwise known as the Harris Poll Reputation Quotient, which measures the reputation of the 60 most visible companies in the country by surveying over 14,000 members of the general public.
The company with the highest and best reputation in this year's Harris Poll was Amazon.com (AMZN). According to the poll, Amazon ranked the highest in the categories of Emotional Appeal, Products & Services and is the most trusted company in the U.S. Half of all households surveyed had discussed Amazon in the last year and almost 100% of those discussions about the company were positive.
It is the first time Amazon took the top ranking in the survey, but it is its fifth consecutive year with a high reputation score.
Coming in second place was Apple (AAPL), which was last year's most reputable company, and also took the highest place in this year's categories of Financial Performance and Vision & Leadership.Rounding out the top five are Walt Disney (DIS), Google (GOOG), and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ). The banking industry is still in negative territory according to the poll, though positive ratings of the industry are now 25%, a more than 50% increase from last year.
Comcast (CMCSA) is trending as the cable company said it would pay $16.7 billion to acquire the rest of NBC Universal. Comcast already owns 51% of NBCUniversal and is purchasing the remaining 49% from General Electric (GE). GE sold Comcast its current stake in NBCUniversal in 2011. The two were expected to operate NBCUniversal as a joint venture at least until mid-2014. Comcast expects the deal to close within the next six weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV