Cash Flow and Financial Condition
Net cash used in operating activities as determined under GAAP was $31 million for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared with net cash provided by operating activities of $162 million for the year ended December 31, 2011.
Modified for the timing of receipts from, and payments to, WellCare’s government customers, net cash provided by operating activities was $145 million for 2012, compared with $263 million for 2011. The decrease in the Company’s operating cash flow is primarily the result of the $122 million decrease in income before taxes, as determined under GAAP, in 2012 compared with 2011, as well as an increase in federal and state income tax payments, that were partially offset by a decrease in payments related to resolving government investigations and related litigation.
As of December 31, 2012, unregulated cash and investments were approximately $194 million, compared with $350 million as of September 30, 2012. The decrease during the fourth quarter resulted primarily from payments for acquisitions as well as capital contributions to certain of the Company’s regulated entities, offset in part by dividends from certain regulated companies.Days in claims payable were 40 days as of December 31, 2012, compared with 40 days as of September 30, 2012, and 54 days as of December 31, 2011. Financial Outlook The Company is providing its financial outlook for the year ending December 31, 2013:
- Adjusted net income per diluted share is expected to be between approximately $4.50 and $4.85.
- Premium revenue in total is expected to be between $8.7 and $8.8 billion.
- Premium revenues and MBRs for each of the Company’s segments are anticipated as follows:
|Segments||Premium Revenue Year-over-year Changes||MBRs|
|Medicaid||Increase 14% to 16%||87.25% to 88.25%|
|Medicare Advantage||Increase approximately 50%||86.50% to 87.50%|
|Medicare PDP||Decrease 20% to 25%||83.75% to 84.75%|
- The adjusted administrative expense ratio is expected to be between approximately 8.7% and 8.9%.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts