Mobile Industry Faces $9.2 Billion Shortfall In Backhaul Investment, Tellabs Study Finds
NAPERVILLE, Ill., Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Operators are investing in radio network upgrades and migrating to LTE to meet surging user demand for mobile data.
But a report unveiled today predicts that operators will face a new mobile capacity crunch by 2017. The Strategy Analytics study reveals that operators may not be planning sufficient investment in backhaul to meet anticipated demand over the next 5 years. Specific information related to the report is available at Tellabs stand at Mobile World Congress 2013, Hall 6, Stand 6E10, and as follows:
- Video: Can You Avoid the Coming LTE "Mobile Backhaul Gap"? ( bit.ly/Yb4YqM)
- Infographic: Mobile backhaul for LTE will fall short of demand by 2017 ( bit.ly/Yp23K2)
- Executive summary: Future Backhaul Requirements for Complex Mobile Networks ( bit.ly/X02DQ4)
- Insight article: Closing the Backhaul Gap ( bit.ly/12JXj8B)
- Blog: Mobile operators risk 'backhaul gap' in LTE networks ( bit.ly/15aauPZ)
Global mobile data traffic has increased 13 times in the last 5 years and Strategy Analytics forecasts it to grow by 5 to 6 times more by 2017. The Tellabs-commissioned study predicts a $9.2 billion global backhaul funding gap with a 16 petabyte shortfall in backhaul capacity by 2017.
Investment and capacity shortfalls vary by region (calculated as necessary backhaul expenditure minus current planned operator investment):
- Asia Pacific – US$5.3 billion; 9.4 Petabytes
- Middle East Africa – US$1 billion; 1.8 Petabytes
- Western Europe – US$1 billion; 1.8 Petabytes
- North America – US$650 million; 1.2 Petabytes
- Caribbean/ Latin America – US$600 million; 1.1 Petabytes
- Central & Eastern Europe – US$580 million; 1 Petabyte.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts