Obama Sends Message to Wall Street by Not Talking About Wall Street
As the president has exhibited in his previous State of the Union addresses, he spent considerable time talking about the need for continued support of business growth and a strong labor market.
Obama told one example of a warehouse in Youngstown, Ohio -- a manufacturing town that helped his re-election bid -- that had once been shuttered but has since been converted into a "state-of-the-art" 3D printing lab.
But with the impending struggle over the sequester and tension among Democrats and Republicans on gun reform, there were enough moments in Obama's State of the Union address that his opponents see him as a president bent on a liberal policy agenda.
"Economies don't grow on intentions," said Patrick Arnold, a Republican consultant at Arnold Group Communications. "America needed an address that called out Congress with feet to the fire. Instead, they learned about 3D printing."Maybe the president figured it was an uplifting alternative to the typical Wall Street rhetoric. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV