State Of The Union Address: Young People Are Screwed
WASHINGTON, Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- President Barack Obama delivered the State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress tonight, outlining an agenda that will continue to deprive young Americans of economic opportunity.
Young adults continue to suffer disproportionately from the poor economy. According to Generation Opportunity's latest Millennial Jobs Report, 13.1% of 18-29 year olds are unemployed. That figure doesn't even include an additional 1.7 million young adults no longer counted because they have stopped looking. Effectively, 16.2% of young people are out of work.
"Tonight's speech indicates that young people will be screwed even more in the next four years than they were in Obama's first term. When the President talks about 'investing in the future,' he really means stealing prosperity from young Americans to pay for a bloated, out-of-control, and unsustainable federal government," said Evan Feinberg, President of Generation Opportunity."I am disappointed that young Americans – who voted to re-elect this President – are going to be subjected to the same tax and spend policies that have left us holding the bag. In his speech, the President proposed billions in new 'stimulus' spending, doubling down on economic policies that have done little but steal our generation's prosperity." Young Adults on Government Spending and Debt
- Only 36% of 18-29 year olds agree with the statement "generally speaking, things in the United States are heading in the right direction."
- 72% would decrease federal spending if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- 61% would decrease taxes on individuals if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- Only 38% believe that today's political leaders reflect the interests of young Americans.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts