Statement On President Barack Obama's State Of The Union Address
SEIU President Mary Kay Henry: "President Obama showed incredible vision and leadership tonight by calling for a raise in the federal minimum wage, as one way to extend a hand to lift up working people. This would have an enormous impact on workers, many of whom are forced to string together 2-3 jobs to barely afford the necessities of life."
WASHINGTON, Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- After President Obama delivered his State of the Union address, Mary Kay Henry, President of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), issued the following statement:
"In his State of the Union address tonight, President Obama delivered a bold, commonsense blueprint for our nation to deliver fully on its promise of opportunity for all working people. President Obama offered real ideas for building a flourishing middle class, where our country does better because everyone is doing better.
"President Obama showed incredible vision and leadership tonight by calling for a raise in the federal minimum wage, as one way to extend a hand to lift up working people. This would have an enormous impact on workers, many of whom are forced to string together 2-3 jobs to barely afford the necessities of life. Congress should work with President Obama to increase the minimum wage now. Just as an increased minimum wage stands to lift up millions of families, workers must also be able to form unions to improve their lives."Tonight, President Obama once again showed his commitment to commonsense reform that would bring 12 million aspiring citizens out of the shadows with a full voice in our economy. We must not let the opportunity pass for immigration reform that reflects our values, provides a fair path to citizenship, and fixes our broken system once and for all.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV