Jackson City Schools' Investigation Finds Jesus Portrait Constitutional
Attorneys Offer Details on Report and Recommendation During 7 PM School Board Meeting
JACKSON, Ohio, Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Liberty Institute and Covington & Burling attorneys announced findings from their report and a recommendation to the Jackson City School Board. To view the report and findings online, visit: https://www.libertyinstitute.org/document.doc?id=46
Hiram Sasser, Liberty Institute Director of Litigation, stated the following:
- We conducted a thorough investigation and determined that the portrait was not government speech but rather the private speech of the Hi-Y Club.
- Because the portrait is private speech, the school may not censor it simply because of its religious viewpoint.
- It is unfortunate the ACLU sued rather than participating in the full investigation like we invited them to do.
- The ACLU's hard-fought victory at the Supreme Court in the Pinette case prohibits the school district from discriminating against the Hi-Y Club's portrait.
- We would imagine the ACLU will drop its lawsuit, now it is clear the school is simply complying with Supreme Court precedent that their own organization established.
- We feel sure the ACLU would not want the government to discriminate against private speech.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts