NVIDIA (NVDA) is entering the personal computer space. The company’s Tegra 4 could be the upcoming processor used to power Google’s (GOOG) Chromebook. The Tegra 4 is a quad-core Cortex-A15 chip that is powerful enough to support an Android-based computer. This would give a big boost of exposure for NVIDIA, as Google develops ways to integrate smartphone system offerings with computers. If Tegra 4 is used on the Chromebook, it is possible that consumers will get a dual-boot to Android. [Related list: 5 Tech Stock Ideas as Analysts Lower Target Price]
The Chromebook project is an important one for Google. Users still require a notebook computer to be productive, and the chromebook’s low price point provides for inexpensive computing. NVIDIA is an over-achiever in designing graphics solutions. This means that an NVIDIA-powered Chromebook could be powered with a high-resolution display.
A higher pixel density for laptops is clearly lacking in the marketplace. Only Apple (AAPL) is selling “Retina Display” in the computer space, and faces very little competition at this time. If Google successfully pushes high-resolution laptops, this could influence computer makers to follow suit. HP (HP) and Dell (DELL) would be a few of the makers who would have to offer better-quality displays on their computers.
Interactive chart. More free tools, practice portfolios and stock alerts available at Kapitall.1. NVIDIA Corporation ( NVDA): NVDA could be left out of the Nexus 7 refresh, as Google chooses Qualcom’s APQ8064 processor. A Tegra 4-based chromebook would be a big win for the company. P rovides visual computing, high performance computing, and mobile computing solutions that generate interactive graphics on various devices ranging from tablets and smart phones to notebooks and workstations. Market cap at $7.82B, most recent closing price at $12.51.
2. Google Inc. ( GOOG): Google has multiple partners for its Android-based tablet. CNET reported that Asus will release a 7-inch tablet that runs on Intel’s ( INTC) Atom processor. Blackberry ( BBRY) recognizes the importance of Android. 40% of apps made for Blackberry 10 were ported from Android. When Skype is released for Blackberry 10, it, too, will be a port from Android. Google is the world's most popular search engine.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts