5 Ways You'll Regret Spending on Valentine's Day
So you're going to be the genius who proposes on Valentine's Day, huh? Join the club.
Jewelers of America reports that February makes up 8% of jewelers' annual sales -- lagging only behind the November and December holiday season's 32.3% and May's Mother's Day and bridal-driven 8.3%. That's a big crowd waiting to pop the question, and they could spend a whole lot less on their dinner, flowers and other romantic touches if they just waited a few days.In fact, it's going to cost exponentially more to get down on one knee and present that engagement ring this year than it has on recent Valentine's days. The Jewelry Industry Research Institute's Ken Gassman says that average engagement ring prices hit $3,500 last year. That's higher than the $3,450 average in pre-recession 2008 and far more costly than the $3,200 average in 2009 and the $3,150 suitors spent in 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV