Adjusted earnings from continuing operations per diluted share, which excludes the impact of items detailed in note 5 of the supplemental financial information, was $2.58 for the year ended December 31, 2012 compared with $2.74 in 2011. Foreign currency movements increased earnings by $0.06 per diluted share in 2012 compared to 2011.
Total commissions and fees were $3,458 million for 2012, compared to $3,414 million for 2011. Excluding a negative 1.8% impact from foreign currency movements, organic growth in commissions and fees was 3.1% in 2012.
Reported operating margin was (6.0)% for the year ended December 31, 2012 compared with 16.4% for the prior year. Excluding items detailed in note 4 of the supplemental financial information, adjusted operating margin was 21.6% in 2012 compared with 22.5% a year ago.
TaxExcluding the impact of the charges referred to above and detailed in note 5, the effective tax rate for the quarter and twelve months ended December 31, 2012 was 33% and 26%, respectively. The effective tax rate for the fourth quarter and full year were impacted by higher than previously estimated state income tax expense and a slightly higher rate of tax due to a change in the geographic mix of income, being applied to the cumulative profits of prior periods. Excluding these items, the effective underlying tax rate was 25% for both the fourth quarter and full year. Debt and Capital As of December 31, 2012, cash and cash equivalents totaled $500 million and total debt was $2,353 million. Total equity was $1,731 million. As of December 31, 2011, cash and cash equivalents were $436 million, total debt was $2,369 million, and total equity was $2,517 million. Cash flow from operating activities for the 12 months ended December 31, 2012, was $524 million compared to $439 million in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV