Tennessee Virtual Academy Responds To Media Reports On Grading Procedures
Unit Course Assessment Grades: TNVA's curriculum uses assessments as a tool to help students achieve mastery of the content. The curriculum is mastery-based and is designed to enable students to take the assessments more than once. Students that do not score well on an initial unit assessment are encouraged to review the material and retake the assessment before moving on to new content. If the student makes the effort and earns a higher score it cancels the lower score. This recognizes students' effort, achievement and mastery of content. This is a common practice in traditional schools too (e.g. make-up tests, alternative assessments, extra credit opportunities). The learning management system allows teachers to track student engagement and see how well students are mastering the content as they move through the curriculum.
Progress Grades: Online schools allow students the flexibility to learn at their own pace in a highly individualized learning model. Some students start and end strong, showing high engagement and consistent achievement. Other students may struggle in the beginning but "catch up" over time and demonstrate progress. Some may struggle throughout and show a regular pattern of low engagement. By recording students' most recent progress score, rather than averaging a series of scores over several weeks, we could more accurately recognize students' current progress in their individualized learning program. This also helped differentiate students and identify those who needed more instructional intervention and remediation.
SOURCE Tennessee Virtual Academy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV