MINNEAPOLIS, Feb. 12, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Buffalo Wild Wings, Inc. (Nasdaq:BWLD), announced today financial results for the fourth quarter ended December 30, 2012. Highlights for the fourth quarter versus the same period a year ago were:
- Total revenue increased 37.8% to $303.8 million
- Company-owned restaurant sales grew 39.3% to $282.7 million
- Same-store sales increased 5.8% at company-owned restaurants and 7.4% at franchised restaurants
- Net earnings increased 22.3% to $16.7 million from $13.6 million, and earnings per diluted share increased 21.9% to $0.89 from $0.73
As a reminder, Buffalo Wild Wings utilizes a 52- or 53-week fiscal year. The fiscal year ended December 30, 2012 was a 53-week year, with the fourth quarter of 2012 having fourteen weeks, while the fourth quarter of 2011 included thirteen weeks.
Sally Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "We achieved a 37.8% increase in revenue for the fourth quarter as a result of strong same-store sales of 5.8% at company-owned restaurants and 7.4% at franchised locations, 62 additional company-owned locations in 2012, and incremental revenue from our fourteenth fiscal week. For the year, our total revenue exceeded $1 billion, a new milestone for Buffalo Wild Wings! High cost of sales continued in the fourth quarter, offsetting some of the bottom-line benefit of the fourteenth week, resulting in net earnings growth of 22.3% for the fourth quarter and 13.6% for the year."Total revenue increased 37.8% to $303.8 million in the fourth quarter compared to $220.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. Company-owned restaurant sales for the quarter increased 39.3% over the same period in 2011, to $282.7 million, driven by a company-owned same-store sales increase of 5.8% and 62 additional company-owned restaurants at the end of fourth quarter 2012 relative to the same period in 2011. Same-store sales for the fourth quarter are calculated on a thirteen-week basis. The fourteenth week in the fourth quarter contributed $22.3 million of restaurant sales. Franchise royalties and fees increased 20.6% to $21.1 million for the quarter versus $17.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2011. This increase is attributed to a franchise same-store sales increase of 7.4%, an additional 12 franchised restaurants at the end of the period versus a year ago, and the incremental $1.5 million of franchise royalties and fees in the fourteenth week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV