CHICAGO, Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows through January 2013. Investors added $86.5 billion to long-term open-end mutual funds in January, and 72 of 93 open-end categories recorded inflows. Combined with inflows of $28.6 billion for exchange-traded funds, it was by far the largest one-month inflow on record. All asset classes and each of the top-10 open-end fund providers saw long-term fund inflows.
"Market observers have been waiting for a sign that the multi-year trend of investors buying fixed income while selling U.S. stocks would reverse in a so-called 'great rotation,'" said Mike Rawson, fund analyst on Morningstar's passive funds research team. "Inflows of $15.5 billion for U.S.-stock funds, the largest monthly intake since 2004, and the first month of inflows in the last 23 for active U.S.-stock funds, support this development. However, U.S.-stock funds experienced slower organic growth than any other major asset class in January, and seasonal and one-time factors such as lump-sum contributions to retirement accounts and acceleration of dividend payments indicate that claims of a paradigm shift in investor behavior may be premature."
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Continuing a trend that has persisted for more than four years and demonstrating that investors have not abandoned fixed income, the intermediate-term bond category had the greatest inflows in January with $10.5 billion.
- Taxable-bond funds led all asset classes with inflows of $31.0 billion in January, followed by international-stock funds, which took in $18.4 billion during the month.
- Vanguard topped all fund families in January with overall inflows of $17.6 billion, 87 percent of which flowed to the firm's passive lineup. Vanguard funds swept the top three spots for fund-level inflows, led by Vanguard Total Bond Market's inflows of $4.3 billion. American Funds saw its first monthly inflow since June 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV