February is National Children’s Dental Health Month, and Health Net, Inc. (NYSE: HNT) reminds parents and caregivers about how to prevent early childhood caries (ECC), otherwise known as “baby bottle tooth decay.”
The American Dental Association (ADA) defines ECC as the presence of one or more decayed or missing teeth or fillings in a child up to 71 months of age.
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), ECC can occur when a child’s teeth come in contact with too much sugar. Sugar facilitates the growth of bacteria, and bacteria-produced acids can, in turn, cause tooth decay.
The NIH additionally notes that ECC often can be traced specifically to liquids that contain sugar, including milk, formula, fruit juices, and soft drinks. The NIH additionally points out that the potential for ECC increases if a child sleeps or walks around with a bottle or training cup containing a sugary liquid, because the sugar coats their teeth for longer periods of time, causing teeth to decay more quickly.“What many people don’t realize is that children who don’t receive appropriate dental care can grow up to become adults with poor dental health,” says Robert Shechet, D.D.S., director of dental programs for Health Net, Inc. Shechet explained that – as part of Health Net’s efforts to help reduce the incidence of ECC and to set youngsters on a lifelong path of good dental health – the company is working with primary care physicians to educate parents regarding the importance of:
- Scheduling a dental visit for children within six months of their first tooth appearing, but no later than age 1;
- Switching from bottles to cups by age 1; and
- Helping children brush their teeth until age 7 and teaching them the importance of oral hygiene and good nutrition.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts