Shares of Arkansas Best are also cheap by another measure: They trade at just 90% of tangible book value. That should provide downside support if the market gets choppy.
Cliffs Natural Resources
Value investors tend to seek out companies that have a strong base of assets but are otherwise temporarily out of favor as near-term sales and profit trends weaken. Undergirded by a strong balance sheet, shares can hold their own until operations improve. Of course, there are so many moving parts to a balance sheet, and all of the assets may be valued more optimistically than the real world data suggest. That's why it's always interesting to look at a company after it has just taken a fresh, more realistic view of its balance sheet.
Mining firm Cliffs Natural Resources (CLF) is a perfect example. The company recently announced that it is writing off roughly $2 billion in asset values because previously acquired mines are no longer worth as much. This is known as "kitchen sink accounting," when a company aims to get rid of all the bad news at once.The good news: Cliff's revised balance sheet is now a lot more accurate. The better news: That updated balance sheet is worth a lot more than the company's market value. Cliff's now has roughly $6.3 billion in shareholder value, compared to a market value of just $5.1 billion. That means shares might rally 20% just to get back up to book value. That's cold comfort to any investors that have seen this stock fall from $100 in the summer of 2011 to a recent $36, but the next stock price move now appears to be upward. To see these stocks in action, visit the 4 Turnaround Plays for 2013 portfolio.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV