United Natural Foods
Mid-cap organic and specialty food distributor United Natural Foods (UNFI) has been all over the place in the last year. But zoom out a bit, and a clearer picture starts forming. You probably guessed: It's not a good one.
UNFI is currently forming a head and shoulders top, a price pattern that indicates exhaustion among buyers. The head and shoulders is formed by two swing highs that top out around the same level (the shoulders), separated by a bigger peak called the head. The sell signal comes on the breakdown below the pattern's "neckline" level at $51. A shallow downtrend in RSI over the whole course of the pattern adds some extra bearish confirmation to a breakdown below UNFI's $51 support level.
As a trader, it's critical to have a contingency plan. That means: When does this bearish setup break? If UNFI can push through the top of its shoulder level at $56 (the red dashed line), we've got a good sign that more buyers have stepped in to buoy shares. Until then, $51 is our sell signal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV