British American Tobacco
Up first is British American Tobacco (BTI), the $100 billion ADR that owns cigarette brands such as Dunhill, Lucky Strike and Pall Mall. BTI hasn't been a strong performer so far in 2013 -- in fact, shares have done a whole lot of nothing since the calendar flipped over to the new year. But that's not why this stock looks toxic. Instead, it comes down to the long-term setup in shares.
British American Tobacco has been forming a descending triangle pattern for most of the last six months as shares bounced between a trend line resistance level to the upside and horizontal support at $100 below shares. A breakdown below support is the sell signal for BTI.With any technical pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers -- not just shapes. After all, triangles, head and shoulders patterns and the like are a good way of describing what's happening on a chart, but they're not the reason why it's tradable. Instead, that all comes down to the supply and demand caused by those buyers and sellers. The horizontal support level at $100 is a place where a glut of buyers has been willing to step in and put a floor in the stock. It's not incidental that support comes in at a round $100. That's a big psychological price for investors, and it stands to reason that bids would start falling off if shares fall below it. A breakdown would mean that increasingly eager sellers have absorbed all of the excess demand of shares sitting at that level -- and without that floor in place, shares could fall much further than that.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV