CARY, N.C., Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ABB (NYSE: ABB), a global leader in electric power and automation, said today that it will acquire San Diego-based APS Technology Group (APS) to add optical character recognition (OCR) and gate automation capabilities to further improve safety, productivity and efficiency of port operations as containerized shipping grows worldwide.
APS, an 11-year-old, 50-person company with offices in San Diego and Long Beach, California, will join ABB's Crane and Harbor automation business. No major changes to staffing, product offerings or marketing efforts are planned. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"As containerized shipping grows, container handling in ports and terminals is quickly moving away from manual controls to fully automated systems," said Fred Hoonaard, head of Crane and Harbor Center of Excellence. "Bringing visual, or OCR, technology to containers, trucks and gates gets us one step closer to delivering ship-to-gate automation that increases productivity and reduces accidents while saving time and money."
ABB estimates that the global terminal automation market will double in five years.ABB is a top terminal crane automation company, having delivered automation systems to more than half the world's automated container terminals. It provides a range of automation and electric grid products and services to marine industries, including shore-to-ship electric power for idling ships' engines at ports to lower cost and emissions. Zurich-based ABB has invested more than $11 billion in the last three years in U.S. companies. In North America, ABB employs more than 30,000 people, including about 20,000 in the United States. Globally, ABB employs about 145,000. SOURCE ABB
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV