Smith Micro Software, Inc
), a leading provider of wireless and mobility solutions, today announced the availability of their CommSuite® solution, an advanced voice and video messaging platform for mobile operators. The platform is designed to help operators generate new revenue streams and revitalize legacy voicemail systems through integrated, rich media communications such as video and avatar messaging, live videocast, voice-to-text transcription, and social sharing of messages.
As voice and text-based communications evolve into rich media communications, the rapid growth of video messaging applications, such as Skype, Tango and QikVideo, is having a negative impact on mobile operators’ bottom lines. Global analyst firm Ovum estimates operators will lose $54 billion in SMS revenues by 2016, due to the increasing popularity of social messaging services on smartphones. CommSuite from Smith Micro addresses this market shift by providing an integrated yet modular communications platform that allows operators to offer a wide range of visual messaging services, from ad-sponsored Visual Voicemail to premium features such as Videomail, Avatarmail and Videocast.
“There is no reason for operators to be left out of the huge market for video and social messaging that is being swept up by over-the-top providers today,” said
, senior vice president of global products and programs, Smith Micro Software. “With the footprint they have in the market and prime real-estate on the device, operators are in a unique position to offer a more convenient, richer way for subscribers to communicate. CommSuite not only provides the video messaging features to compete with over-the-top apps, but also offers expanded revenue opportunities through advertising, in-app service purchases, and add-on content, such as personal avatars for a customized messaging experience.”
Key Features of CommSuite
CommSuite consists of modules that can be bundled together or offered as standalone apps, including:
Key Benefits for Operators
- Videomail, which enables users to record and share video messages
- Videocast, a service that streams live video to one or more users via the cloud
- Visual Voicemail, a visual inbox that lets users manage voice messages like email
- Voice-to-Text, a transcription service for converting voice messages to text
- Voice SMS, which allows users to record and send voice message like text messages
- Avatarmail, allowing users to personalize messages using animated personas
- Advertising plug in, integrating an operator’s mobile ad platform into the CommSuite client
- Software Developer Kit, providing programming interfaces to add CommSuite features to other messaging applications
Key Benefits for Consumers
- Increased ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) and subscriber loyalty
- Flexible “try and buy” purchase options that drive broad consumer adoption
- Highly-scalable and reliable services, with fast, cloud-based deployment capabilities
- Support for Rich Communication Service (RCS) standards and integration with RCS services
- Ability to optimize network utilization of video messaging through integration with Smith Micro’s NetWise™ traffic management solution
- Convenient access to rich media messaging through a single, integrated application
- Ability to share audio, video and transcribed text messages through social networks, email or the device address book
- Ability to share video messages with anyone who uses a video-capable mobile phone or browser (no client software required)
- Ability to personalize messages with animated personas for increased community engagement
CommSuite is part of Smith Micro’s Mobility platform that helps mobile operators, device manufacturers and enterprises connect, control and capitalize on the power of the mobile internet. For more information, please visit
About Smith Micro Software, Inc.:
Smith Micro Software provides solutions that simplify, secure and enhance the mobile experience. Our portfolio includes a wide range of applications that manage broadband connectivity, data traffic, devices, voice and video communications over wireless networks. With 30 years of experience developing world-class client and server software, Smith Micro helps the leading mobile network operators, device manufacturers and enterprises increase efficiency and capitalize on the growth of mobile-connected consumers and workforces. For more information, visit
Safe Harbor Statement:
This release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including without limitation forward-looking statements relating to the company’s quarterly revenues guidance, its financial prospects and other projections of its performance, the company's ability to increase its business and the anticipated timing and financial performance of its new products and services and potential acquisitions. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements are changes in demand for the company’s products from its customers and their end-users, new and changing technologies and mobile communications products, customer acceptance and timing of deployment of those technologies and products, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software providers. These and other factors discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in any forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements contained in this release are made on the basis of the views and assumptions of management regarding future events and business performance as of the date of this release, and the company does not undertake any obligation to update these statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this release.
Smith Micro, and the Smith Micro logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. All other trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.