IXYS Corporation (NASDAQ:IXYS), an international power semiconductor and IC company, announced today that the company has to date been granted 22 U.S. patents during the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2013. Many of the patents focus on power semiconductors, integrated circuits, microcontrollers and photovoltaics. All of these seek to achieve the same set of targets: reduce energy consumption, improve power monitoring and enable industrial/consumer devices to control energy and power. Some of these innovative technologies are on the market today and IXYS expects that more will be available in the near future.
“We currently hold more than 350 patents that cover a broad range of technologies and processes, many of which are currently used in our products. During this current fiscal year, we have further extended the range of our IP portfolio,” stated Dr. Nathan Zommer, Chairman and CEO of IXYS. “IXYS has achieved a level of technical independence and offers customers innovative solutions not available elsewhere.”
Among the recent patents granted:
- U.S. Patent #8165832B1 - A wall plug monitor that measures digitally AC power consumption for appliances and power systems connected to the AC line.
- U.S. Patent #8188686B1 - RF enabled occupancy detection and connection to cellular phone network for smart phone connectivity, notification and control of lights.
- U.S. Patent #8242832B2 - Solar cell energy generation with integrated charge pumps boost circuits, for energy harvesting applications.
- U.S. Patent #8264171B1 - In situ LED temperature monitoring using the LED as its sensor while in operation to improve LED lifetime.
- U.S. Patent #8324824B2 - One wire interface circuitry, for communication between a host controller and an LED driver.
- U.S. Patent #8334451B1 - Integrated solar cells creating a photovoltaic panel on a chip with desired voltage and current outputs.
- U.S. Patent #8344480B1 - High performance IGBT power semiconductor.
- U.S. Patent #8347120B2 - System and method for conserving power (the reduction of “vampire power”) used and applied to an electrical apparatus based on pattern of use.
- U.S. Patent #8356759B2 – Low cost magnetic stripe reader using independent switching thresholds.
- U.S. Patent #8358087B2 - Alternating turn-off timing of a fluorescent lamp starter unit.
- U.S. Patent #8358093B2 - Sample and hold time stamp for sensing zero crossing of a back electromotive force in 3-phase brushless DC motors.
- U.S. Patent #8363412B2 – Mother and daughter board configuration to improve current and voltage capabilities of a power instrument.
“IXYS invests approximately 9% of its annual revenue in research and development, as the company believes that innovation leads to greater competitiveness in the semiconductor marketplace,” commented Uzi Sasson, President and CFO of IXYS. “We anticipate that these innovative technologies will be used in the years ahead. In addition to adopting these technologies within IXYS, we expect to continue our past practice of offering licenses to certain patents to our partners.”