Across a variety of market cycles, Ivy Funds and Waddell & Reed have shown remarkably steady performance, as evidenced by the latest Barron’s ranking of the “Best Mutual Fund Families.”
Since 2008, either Ivy Funds or Waddell & Reed Advisors Funds has occupied the No. 1, 2 or 3 spot on the five-year rankings published annually by Barron’s. Dating to 2007, Ivy Funds has been in the top 10 for six straight years, ranking No. 7 out of 61 firms for the five-year period ended Dec. 31, 2007.
In the latest rankings, published Feb. 11, 2013, Ivy Funds is No. 2 over the last five years after ranking at the top last year, while Waddell & Reed Advisors Funds rank 16 over the last five years after ranking second last year, out of 53 firms ranked. Barron’s also included separate one-year rankings for the five specific asset categories in which funds must have a presence in order to qualify for the overall rankings, listing only the top and bottom five. Ivy Funds ranked first out of the 62 firms in the Mixed Asset category (equity and fixed-income assets) for the year ended Dec. 31. 2012.
The two fund families, both affiliates of Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc. (NYSE:WDR), utilize a rigorous research process that emphasizes longer-term performance with a focus on risk management, according to company executives, with the benefits realized over longer periods.“Market cycles change year to year, but investors need clarity and consistency in performance over time, and that is what our process strives to deliver,” said Henry J. Herrmann, Chairman and CEO of Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc., parent company to both fund families. “It’s gratifying to see these rankings continue to bear out what we believe are the merits of our daily research and stewardship of client assets. Short-term volatility will always be a challenge, but longer term performance is paramount.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV