"As a cookbook author and restaurateur, I've come to really appreciate delicious and unique flavors – so it has been so fun to see the creative ideas fans submitted to the Lay's 'Do Us A Flavor' contest," said actress Eva Longoria. "Simply put, America is going to love the three finalist flavors. I can't wait to see which one they select as the winner."
About the Finalists
To submit a flavor idea for the "Do Us A Flavor" contest, fans were asked to provide their flavor name, up to three possible ingredients and a description or inspiration for their flavor. In alphabetical order, the finalists are:
- Lay's Chicken & Waffles: Christina Abu-Judom, a volunteer coordinator at a Phoenix, Ariz. non-profit. Her flavor inspiration: Her nephew – who encouraged Christina to enter the contest – and who's favorite dish has always been chicken & waffles. He'll still never let her live down that one time when she stole a bite of waffle from his plate.
- Lay's Cheesy Garlic Bread: Karen Weber-Mendham, a part-time children's librarian and mom of three in Land O'Lakes, Wis. Her flavor inspiration: Going out for pizza is a treat for Karen and her family; while waiting for the pizza to come to the table, Karen always orders a bowl of cheesy garlic bread for the family to enjoy. Cutting the bread into equal sized pieces so her children don't quibble, Karen can barely put down the bowl before it's completely snatched up.
- Lay's Sriracha: Tyler Raineri, a student at Illinois State University. His flavor inspiration: Forgoing typical dips, Tyler prefers to coat his chips, and pretty much everything else, in Sriracha. It was a taste he inherited from his grandmother whose homemade chips were always seasoned with a dab of this red-hot sauce. And it's a tradition he now shares with his housemates at school.
About the ContestThe "Do Us A Flavor" contest has proven to be a successful model for PepsiCo around the world as the contest has been previously held in numerous countries with consumers suggesting millions of chip flavors. From the UK and India to Australia and South Africa, the "Do Us A Flavor" contest has resulted in a wide spectrum of popular consumer-created chip flavors, including Mastana Mango, Walkie Talkie Chicken, Caesar Salad, Chilli & Chocolate, Late Night Kebob and even Cajun Squirrel. This is the first time the "Do Us A Flavor" contest has been held in the U.S. In May, the Lay's brand will announce the winning flavor of America's "Do Us A Flavor" contest. The two runner-up finalists will each win $50,000 in prize money, with the grand prize winner taking home $1 million or one percent of the 2013 net sales of the winning flavor (whichever is higher). In addition to being part of the judging panel that determined the three finalist flavors, Longoria and Symon have also been appearing in national television and online advertising, as well as a retail marketing campaign to support the contest.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts